This wikiHow will show you how to find the best lipstick shade unique to you, based on your undertones! After finding your undertones, read on to learn which shades of lipstick are suitable for you and your face. These instructions are easiest to follow during the day and should take around 10 minutes.
[Edit]Determining your Skin Undertones
Wash your face, and wait 10 minutes.
- Wash your face with your preferred face wash. Dry your face with a towel by patting dry and wait 10 minutes before looking at skin tone. Waiting 10 minutes will give your face time to relay back to its original tone after washing.
Find a natural light source.
- Walk to your nearest window or place of natural light so you can accurately view your skin color. Use a handheld mirror to get the truest shade to observe your skin. If needed, you can also use a front-facing camera on your phone. Your face and wrist will be viewed to find your undertones.
- Use a white sheet of paper to identify your undertones. Stand in front of a mirror and hold a white piece of paper up to your face. Now, compare your skin color to the whiteness of the piece of paper.
- If your skin looks pink or rosy by comparison, you’re cool-toned.
- If your face looks more yellow, your undertone is warm.
- If your skin looks peachy, neither yellow nor pink, you have a neutral undertone.
- Look at your veins to confirm your undertones. Another way to identify your undertones is by viewing the color of your veins. Stand near natural light and hold your wrist up to the light, palm up. Look closely at the color of the veins in your wrist. This step is helpful for darker skin tones.
- If your veins look blue or purple, you have a cool undertone.
- If your veins appear to look green, you have warmer undertones.
- You have neutral undertones if your veins appear to be in between or have a mix of green and blue colored veins.
- Evaluate how your skin color responds to sunlight. If you’re still having trouble determining your undertones, you can also find them by noticing how your skin reacts to the sun. Sun exposure is very telling when it comes to determining your undertone.
- If you tend to burn easily, you have a cooler undertone.
- If you tan easily, you have a warm undertone.
- If you burn and tan, you have a neutral undertone.
- Try on some jewelry. Undertones can also be identified by how jewelry looks on you. Comparing how gold jewelry vs silver jewelry looks on you can be a helpful way to confirm your undertones.
- Gold jewelry tends to be more flattering on warmer skin tones
- Silver jewelry tends to be more flattering on cooler skin tones
- If you don’t discriminate between gold and silver jewelry based on how it looks on you, you may have neutral undertones.
[Edit]Matching Lipstick to Cool Undertones
Look for lipstick with blue or purple-shaded hues.
- The best lipsticks for cool undertones have blue or purple undertones. Like going for a deep bluish-red (cherry red) versus a red lip that seems more orange. Another example of a purple toned shade is a berry lip. For nude lips, you can enhance the natural flush of your lips with a rosy, pink nude, or a taupe beige for a more subtle look.
- Grab lipstick of the above shade and hue and apply to your lips. Tap a tissue to wipe off any excess color. Admire how it looks on your face and have fun!
[Edit]Matching Lipstick to Warm Undertones
Search for lipstick with red or orange hues.
- The best lipsticks for warm undertones are lip colors in warm shades. Bold oranges, brick reds, or terracotta browns would look best! When looking for a nude shade, correspond it with your skin shade. For a light overall skin tone, go for a pale nude, and for a dark overall skin tone, go for a rich nude.
- Grab lipstick of the above shade and hue and apply to your lips. Tap a tissue to wipe off any excess color. Enjoy the accent to your skin tone you have now applied!
[Edit]Matching Lipstick to Neutral Undertones
Find any lipstick of your liking! It's a free for all with neutral undertones.
- From a light nude shade to a dark berry, with neutral undertones, any shade flatters your skin. Choosing a color of your liking will make you look good and feel good!
Apply desired lipstick and have fun!
- Take your lipstick and apply a light coat onto your lips. Dab your lips with a tissue to remove any excess product. Enjoy your easy search and success on finding a flattering lip color!