Chickpea, Butter Bean & Veggie Patties -Suitable for vegans – a healthy meat alternative.
Makes approximately 10 – 12 large patties or 36 small patties
- 500 g butternut, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm cubes 5 ml ground cumin
- 1 x 410 g chickpeas, drained 5 ml ground coriander
- 1 x 410 g butter beans, drained; reserve liquid 2 ml cayenne pepper
- 250 g spinach, washed and finely shredded Juice and rind of l lemon
- 30 ml cooking oil 120 g wholewheat breadcrumbs (250 ml)
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped 15 ml fresh or 5 ml dry rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed 30 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- . small green chilli, finely chopped (optional) Sunflower oil for shallow-fat frying
1. Steam butternut cubes on 100% power in the microwave for 4 – 6 minutes or in a colander over a saucepan of boiling water on the hob until just tender – about 20 minutes.
2. Place chickpeas, butter beans, and steamed butternut together in a bowl. Mash together roughly with a potato masher. You should still see chunks of butternut and pieces of chickpeas and beans. Add in spinach.
3. Heat 30 ml oil in a small saucepan; add onion and garlic; saut. until onion is translucent. Then add chilli, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Add into the chickpea mixture.
4. Stir in the lemon rind and juice, breadcrumbs and herbs. Check seasoning. Mixture should be firm to make patties. If too dry add a little reserved butter bean liquid. If too wet, add in some extra breadcrumbs.
5. Wet hands; form patties, flattening slightly (about 2.5 cm – 3 cm thick). Set aside to firm up for 30 minutes.
6. Hob: Shallow-fry in heated cooking oil over medium heat for 7 – 14 minutes until patties are golden brown on both sides. Drain well on absorbent paper towel.
Oven: Preheat oven to 180C/160.C fan/Gas mark 4. Brush surface of patties with a little oil; place onto baking sheet lined with baking paper. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
7. Serve in a bun as a burger, or carefully split in half and fill with avocado or tomato salsa. Serve in pita bread or in a wrap with salad.
• Make ahead and freeze for up to 1 month.
• Replace butter beans with 6 potatoes, mashed without butter.
• Replace butternut with carrots which have been finely diced; cook as for butternut.
• Instead of chilli, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper; add in 5 – 10 ml Harissa paste.
• Serve with chilli sauce or homemade tomato sauce (pg. 79).
• Great as lunchbox fillers.
• Make small patties – excellent as a snack for cocktail parties.